Current:Home > ScamsMaine’s governor and GOP lawmakers decry budget adjustment approved in weekend vote -Capitatum
Maine’s governor and GOP lawmakers decry budget adjustment approved in weekend vote
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 06:30:27
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — Maine Republicans are angry about a proposal by the Democratic-led Legislature’s spending committee that would draw money from the highway fund, reduce a tax break for seniors and eliminate much of the $107 million the governor wanted to set aside in anticipation of slowing revenues.
Republican Sen. Rick Bennett accused Democrats of failing to bargain in good faith, and Transportation Commissioner Bruce Van Note said he was “surprised and disheartened” by the potential loss of $60 million in highway funding.
Even Democratic Gov. Janet Mills decried the proposed changes.
“She urges the Legislature to reconsider these ill-advised changes, to avoid creating new programs that will require ongoing funding and to advance a fiscally responsible budget that is sustainable in the long-term,” said Ben Goodman, the governor’s press secretary.
Democrats on the Appropriations Committee approved the adjustment to the two-year, $10.4 billion budget on Sunday after tense discussions, adding to partisan acrimony as the Legislature tries to finish its work in little more than a week.
Republicans were especially incensed over the committee’s highway fund and pension changes that reversed bipartisan agreements that were included in the two-year budget last year.
Rep. Jack Ducharme, R-Madison, said it was “unconscionable” to make such significant changes without any input from the pubic, the Maine Department of Transportation or the Transportation Committee.
He accused the committee of acting in the middle of the night instead of during the light of day when more people were paying attention. “This is why people don’t trust state government,” he said.
veryGood! (41)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Kid Rock tells fellow Trump supporters 'most of our left-leaning friends are good people'
- Father sought in Amber Alert killed by officer, daughter unharmed after police chase in Ohio
- Bears fire offensive coordinator Shane Waldron amid stretch of 23 drives without a TD
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Auburn surges, while Kansas remains No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports men's basketball poll
- The Best Corduroy Pants Deals from J.Crew Outlet, Old Navy, Levi’s & More, Starting at $26
- Cavaliers' Darius Garland rediscovers joy for basketball under new coach
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Gerry Faust, the former head football coach at Notre Dame, has died at 89
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Waymo’s robotaxis now open to anyone who wants a driverless ride in Los Angeles
- Judge extends the time to indict the driver accused of killing Johnny Gaudreau and his brother
- Jennifer Lopez Turns Wicked Premiere Into Family Outing With 16-Year-Old Emme
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Repair Hair Damage In Just 90 Seconds With This Hack from WNBA Star Kamilla Cardoso
- Messi breaks silence on Inter Miami's playoff exit. What's next for his time in the US?
- Olivia Munn Says She “Barely Knew” John Mulaney When She Got Pregnant With Their Son
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Wall Street makes wagers on the likely winners and losers in a second Trump term
Judge set to rule on whether to scrap Trump’s conviction in hush money case
Bears fire offensive coordinator Shane Waldron amid stretch of 23 drives without a TD
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
What does the top five look like and other questions facing the College Football Playoff committee
'Gladiator 2' review: Yes, we are entertained again by outrageous sequel
Blake Shelton Announces New Singing Competition Show After Leaving The Voice